With the last of our seasonal lettuce, I made this very colorful and SIMPLE salad for dinner tonight. It could be made with any greens (cabbage, too!) that you like. The techniques (chopping and combination of colors/textures) were inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Principles for Superb Salads video. Give it a go because it’s a really helpful video!
- Bowl of any type of lettuce, kale, spinach or other greens
- 1 carrot, chopped diagonally
- 3 beets, cut horizontally
- 1 daikon radish, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, diced
Layer the ingredients in this order, sprinkling the veggies on top of the lettuce, distributing the colors.
- 3:1 ratio of oil and vinegar
- generous pinch of salt, pepper
- (optional) 2 TBS plain yogurt
- (optional) 1 tsp Dijon mustard
Shake these ingredients vigorously and store in the refrigerator when not using.
Serve salad immediately and dress as desired.