What do you do when you don’t have all the ingredients for something?
Make up a recipe!!!
I really wanted Alfredo pasta for dinner but didn’t have any sauce or ingredients to make the sauce. So I improvised. Thanks, Progresso!
Ingredients I used:
Feel free to modify these to your liking!
- 1 box of whole wheat Rotini pasta – 0.99¢ at Aldi
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach – 0.99¢/bag at Aldi
- 1 can Progresso Potato Soup with Bacon – ~$1 anywhere
- 1 cup cheddar cheese – $2.50/bag at Aldi
- 1 steamable bag of broccoli – ~$1 at Aldi
= ~$4 for the whole meal! This will serve 4-5.
How I made it:
- Cooked the noodles according to package directions.
- While boiling Rotini I tore the spinach into small-ish pieces (no perfection here) and placed them into the bottom of a colander that I had put in the sink to be ready to drain the pasta.
- Put the broccoli bag into the microwave and cooked it for 5 minutes on HIGH (i.e. followed the directions on the back of the bag).
- Drained the noodles in the colander (with the spinach in the bottom).
- Poured noodles/spinach back into pot and added the can of soup…
- …stirred while heating it up a bit…added the cheese and some spices (cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, lots of black pepper, and thyme. But NO SALT! The soup has lots of it in it already.)
- Spooned some in a bowl, opened the bag of now-steamed broccoli and poured some over the top. Sprinkled some paprika for color and spice.
- Shared it with the hubby. :)