Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serves 5-6
If you look closely, you can see some spaghetti squash in here. To learn how to cook
spaghetti and acorn squashes in the oven, check out this post.
What I used:
- 1 box of whole wheat spaghetti ($1-ish at Aldi)
- 1 can of marinara sauce ($1 at Aldi) and Alfredo sauce ($1 sale at Kroger last yr)
- 1 pkg of 6 bratwursts ($3ish at Aldi)
- 3 cups of fresh broccoli, chopped
How I made it:
- I placed the frozen bratwurst in the microwave for about 2 minutes on 80% power level. Likewise, I placed the frozen broccoli in a bowl of water to defrost. I had to wash the ice off the broccoli by hand to hurry up the process.
- While waiting for the microwave, I heated up a pot of water on the stove for the spaghetti.
- Then, I browned the bratwurst in a greased cast-iron skillet (you can use a nonstick pan if you don’t have cast iron). This took me about 15-20 minute because they were still quite cold after defrosting.
- At the same time, I cooked the spaghetti to al dente. (You can follow the box directions for time, or cook as long as you wish.)
- To steam the broccoli: I filled only the bottom of a big pot with water (about 1 cup water). After adding the defrosted broccoli, I let the water come to a boil on the stove. Then, I put on the lid on the pot, turned down the heat to medium and let it cook 5-10 minutes, til broccoli was vibrant green.
- Because I don’t have a saucepan (yet), I warmed up sauces in the microwave.