Today I was looking for a recipe to use up some leftovers, especially the squashes from Crabtree Farms in my freezer that I’d diced up earlier this month. Here’s the recipe I came up with that both Cobalt and I think is one of the best ones I’ve made since we got married this past June.
What I used
- 1 TBS olive oil or canola oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2-3 zephyr squashes, cubed
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can kidney beans, mostly drained
- 2 tsp cayenne powder and 3 tsp dried thyme
How I made this
- I poured the oil in a 5-Liter pot and let it heat up on medium-heat while I washed the ice off the frozen squash (to quicken the thawing).
- Next, I placed the squash into the pot to cook and put the lid on top so the squash would continue to thaw and steam at the same time. I stirred the squash every 5 minutes or so after it began simmering.
- After about 10 minutes, when the squash was completely thawed and soft, I added the bouillon cubes and water. I let the water come to a simmer again, which took about 5 minutes.
- Next, I sprinkled in the seasonings.
- Finally, I mixed in the rice and beans until everything was hot.