I’ve wanted to make bean burgers for about a week now but I forgot until I suggested the idea to Cobalt late tonight. He was excited about it and even helped me with this recipe and pictures :)
As we often do, Cobalt and I used the ingredients that we had in our fridge and cupboard instead of “normal” ingredients that are in recipes. So if you wish to make these, feel free to substitute (or follow an actual recipe ;))!
Here’s the recipe we made up below:
Three Bean Burgers
Estimate Time: 45 minutes | Makes: 8 burgers
What we used:
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- about 1/2 cup falafal mix (because of the spices)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- spices: garlic pepper (we forgot to use a clove of garlic), onion powder, lemon pepper…
- yellow tomatoes
- green grapes
- salt and pepper
- basil leaves (We discovered that these really enhance the flavor of the burgers!)
How we made them:
- Using a food processor, we pureed all 3 cans of beans and green pepper (we have a tiny food processor, so we had to puree one can at a time.). We left some beans whole and some peppers chunky for texture.
- To a medium bowl, we added the beans and peppers and mixed them all together
- Next, we poured the falafal mix over the beans and peppers and mixed.
- We made breadcrumbs out of 3 big chunks of older homemade bread blended in the food processor. Then we added that to the bean bowl.
- Finally, we added the spices and mixed once more.
- After oiling a cast iron skillet, we turned the stove on medium heat and waited for the oil to be hot. To test if it’s hot enough, sprinkle the pan with flicks of water to test it. Once the oil splatters and crackles, you’ll know it’s the right temperature.
- Measuring 1/2 cup of beans, we formed the mixture with our hands into patties and places them on the oiled skillet. (We were able to fit 4 burgers on the pan.)
Then, we cooked each side 3-5 minutes.
8. Lastly, we served the burgers with cheese, beets, yellow tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper, green grapes, tahini and basil leaves…
Cobalt ate his burger with a pancake I’d made this morning because we had no buns…but I didn’t because I’d eaten so many this morning. :-P
These were surprisingly very delicious. I hope you like them, too!