- 2 TBS flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce (add more if needed)
- 1 cup cold coffee*
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising white flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups whole bran cereal
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
*Note: You don’t have to brew the coffee! :) Measure 1 cup water in a liquid measuring cup. Spoon 1-2 TBS coffee into it. Mix and let sit for an hour. Later, put a sifter/colander in a small bowl and a coffee filter in it. Pour coffee water into filter, and let drain. Now you can use the filtered coffee and it’s not hot!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl: mix flaxseed meal, applesauce, coffee, milk and sugar
- In a small bowl: mix flours, bran cereal, oatmeal, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix well but don’t over mix. Add more applesauce if batter is a bit dry. Batter should be thick.
- Grease 12-muffin pan(s). Spoon batter into muffin cups. You can fill to top because these don’t rise very much; or you can fill them halfway (1/4 cup of batter) and use another muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes… or until golden brown…maybe 15-18 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pan – at least 5 minutes. Then carefully pop muffins out and let cool on a plate or cooling rack so they don’t sweat in the pan.
My adapted muffins are a bit bland…and ended up getting dry. More applesauce or milk would have made them moister! :)
By the way, they taste GREAT with jelly, honey, butter, applesauce, peanut butter…etc.
Adapted from all recipes Bran Muffins with Coffee