- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 c. white, 1 c. wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1/2 – ¾ canned pumpkin or mashed banana
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a large 12-cup muffin pan (spray disposable cups also if you’re using those to keep from sticking!).
- In a small bowl: Mix first five ingredients.
- In a large bowl: Mix sugar, eggs and other wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients (small bowl) to wet ingredients (large bowl), slowly. Mix carefully. Do not over mix! (makes muffins tough instead of fluffy)
- Spoon ¼ cup of batter into prepared muffin pan (using a 1/4 cup measuring cup is the perfect amount).
- Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with butter, jam, peanut butter, honey, apple butter…
Quantity: 12-18 muffins.